Thursday, November 6, 2008

Daily Elections


As our minds and our hearts have been pondering upon the outcome of this week's election, let us think of how inwardly each day is election day . An election is the right, power and privilege to make a choice. In considering the meaning of the word, I am drawn to the word privilege. The ability to choose how we think, how we act and how we live daily is a gift. Now that the elections are behind us, may we move forward in making moment by moment choices to touch the lives of others. May we think the best of others and speak life into the hearts of discouraged ones as we go along our way.

With the holidays upon us, you have probably "elected" to think about the "others" in your life and how you may bless them. It is the time of the year to focus more on what we have rather than what we do not have. Being thankful and thinking of ways to express thankfulness is what we can elect these up coming weeks. If you have not started making your gift list for the holidays, pull out a notepad and start jotting down the names of all the people in your life that you are thankful for. Place the list on your refrigerator, your kitchen window, your laundry room or any place in your home where you spend a lot of time. Begin to thank God each day for each individual and ask Him to bless them. Then ask The Lord to give you a creative idea for letting the special individuals in your life know you appreciate them. As the ideas come to you jot them down beside each name. Add them to your holiday planning folder.

Last weekend I went to the Dollar Tree and found some very special gift ideas. I gathered a few items and put a gift basket together for a special person in my life. (photo above). The cost was only ten dollars and I named the basket, "Thoughts of You." I plan to wrap it in clear cellophane wrap and complete it with a pretty bow. We must remind ourselves that the holiday season is about giving our love to others. It does not matter how much money you spend. Overspending and putting undo pressure upon yourself to give expensive gifts will do nothing but drain the joy and delight of the season right out of you as well as empty your purse. Plan a holiday budget now. Do not charge your gifts. Pay cash and keep it simple. Be creative. Your loved ones will appreciate your thoughts more than the price tag. Elect to use wisdom in keeping the season simple.

Keep checking back because I am going to share simple gift ideas, crafts, and recipes as the holidays approach. Most of all, plan ahead and have fun!

Morning Bagel:Now therefore, fear the Lord, serve Him in sincerity and truth-Serve the Lord! Choose for yourselves this day whom you will serve, but as for me and my house we will serve the Lord. Joshua 24:14-15

Daily Hug: This time of the year can be a season of stressing or a season of blessing. You must "elect" now that this year will be a time of joy, rest, blessing, and enjoyment! This is what our Father wants for you. He is the giver of good gifts and I believe that He desires that you reap the fullness of what the holidays represent. For all of you reading this, my prayer for you is that you will find simplicity, you will enjoy the time with your family, that you will give of your love more than your material gifts and that Christ will shine through every smile, every embrace and every gift of your time and resources. Plan ahead, do something different, get others involved, and love as you have never loved before.

Lord, thank You that you are the greatest Giver! You love to give! I elect this day to give to those around me. I am free in You Lord knowing that the holidays mean so much more than spending my money. They are about serving You. When I see my loved ones and strangers, may I see Your face. When I give of what I have, may I remember that not only am I giving to another, but I am also giving to You. I choose to serve You this holiday season Lord, by planning wisely, spending wisely, and depending upon You to be creative. Thank you for the privilege and freedom of choice that I may select Your ways this day and this upcoming season of celebrating the life of Your son . In Jesus Name. Amen.

No comments: