Thursday, December 18, 2008

Sweet Announcement

One of my most vivid childhood memories was Christmas Eve. My Daddy, Momma, brother and I would go to my Grandparents house for a traditional gathering. My grandmother always served her wonderful tuna dip and chips. She also had an assortment of other goodies awaiting as we arrived. Christmas tunes would be playing on their top of the line turn-top stereo.

We would just stand around, eat, talk and laugh. Then later, my granddaddy would sit everyone down in the living room and read the Christmas story from Luke chapter 2 of the Kings James version of the Bible. After the reading, we would exchange gifts. It was always the same,but it was always special.

Maybe the fact that it was always the same every year was what made it so special. There was something comforting, warm and a bit magical about walking into a familiar place at the same time every year with the same people eating the same traditional foods. It was a time and place of gathering together as a reminder of the most important things in life-faith and family.

Today, John and I read the Christmas story to our children on Christmas Eve. We have no fancy traditions. And instead of my grandmomma's famous tuna dip, we make homemade pizza's in our bread machine and drink sparkling cider. The kids love getting their hands all doughy and drinking the cider out of wine glasses.

This year, however, I did decide to do something a bit different that I would like to share with you. Instead of reading the Christmas Story from the King James Version, I am reading it from the Message Bible.

If you read Luke 2, verses 8 through 20 you will notice there is a lot written about the shepherds. In the Message Bible they are called "sheepherders." For some reason my attention is drawn to these practical, humble, simple individuals who were doing nothing more than minding their own business and carrying our their mundane responsibilities.

These down to earth guys were simply camping in their neighborhood. They were working the night shift. Suddenly, there was suddenly some "sweet sound coming down from the night shift" (old Commodores song). However, the sound probably would not be defined by the shepherds as "sweet". For God's angel suddenly stood among them and God's glory blazed all around the shepherds. They were terrified. Luke 2:8-9

The angel first told them not to be afraid. So maybe his voice and appearance were thunderous. However, the news the angel shared was really "sweet" ! He proclaimed,


"DO NOT BE AFRAID! I AM HERE TO ANNOUNCE A GREAT AND JOYFUL EVENT THAT IS MEANT FOR EVERYBODY, WORLDWIDE: A SAVIOR HAS JUST BEEN BORN IN DAVID'S TOWN, A SAVIOR WHO IS MESSIAH AND MASTER. THIS IS WHAT YOU ARE TO LOOK FOR: A BABY WRAPPED IN A BLANKET AND LYING IN A MANGER."

Then there were some more "sweet sounds coming down" from an entire angelic choir. They were singing God's praises.

"GLORY TO GOD IN THE HEAVENLY HEIGHTS,
PEACE TO ALL MEN AND WOMEN ON EARTH WHO PLEASE HIM."


After the angel choir delivered the most extraordinary declaration, they withdrew into heaven. Then something very profound happened . I will share that part with you in the next blog so you can savor the wonderful announcement that Emanuel is here today with you and with me. He is not a God who is disconnected...sitting on a throne far away and looking down upon you in a disregarding way. He is with you..fully partaking in your life. He wants to be a part of every detail of your life no matter how simple of mundane they seem. This is what you should look for because this is what He wants you to know and see! Now savor that sweet announcement!

Morning Bagel: I am here to announce a great and joyful event that is meant for everybody-worldwide! A Savior has just been born in David's town, A Savior who is Messiah and Master. Luke 2:10-11 (The Message Bible)

Daily Hug: We are always on the look out it seems. That is because God created us to be looking ...to be seeking. That place in you that is looking for something is looking for the One who is with you anyway. He is Emanuel-God with us. It does not mean He is just floating around you. He is with you all the way. You know what I mean? When you cry , He feels your hurt and He weeps with you. When you are excited and joyful, He laughs and jumps up and down with you in your happiness! When you do not even understand your own feelings, He does. And He tends to your heart and cares for it when you are dismayed. He covers you and takes care of you when you do not even realize it. That is why He is called the Good Shepherd. He does not merely tend to your physical being, but He gathers you. All of you. And He feels everything you are experiencing. Now that is what I call some "Sweet Announcement"! That is what I call some "dog gone" good news. Pardon my grammar but I must exclaim my joy in the Truth!

Father, I simply love you. It is only because you loved me first that I can even love you a little. Thank you for being the greatest gift mankind could ever receive. Not only did You travel here to this earth in Your own divine way to be my Hero, but Your presence, being Emanuel-God with us,is the most wonderful incredible fact the Universe could ever fathom. Emanuel, You are grand! The Grandest of All! I will cradle that truth in my heart all day. In Jesus Name. Amen.

No comments: