Saturday, October 11, 2008

Arranged for His Glory


When we found out just two months ago we would be moving from the Atlanta area to the Phoenix area, we decided we wanted to move with as little as possible. We wanted to start over by getting rid of clutter and things not needed. It was exhausting. We literally threw away a ton of things and gave away just as much. I was horrified that I had allowed so much unneeded "stuff" to accumulate in my home.


Now we have been here for three weeks and I do not miss a thing I left behind. In fact I realized that the saying "little is much and much is less" is a very profound statement. I have enjoyed reorganizing my home and decorating with less than what I had before. It has made room for much creativity and enjoyment. Also, it keeps things in perspective of "the less mess the less stress".

If you are thinking you would like to start over in your home or maybe just liven up a room, here are some very simple ideas I would like to share.Keep in mind that you are creating a place of peace, love, and rest for your family, not a show place.

First, dedicate your home to God or the room you would like to give a face-lift. Ask Him to release a flow of creativity within you to guide you.

Secondly, take a look around. Look in the attic,garage, closets, kitchen cabinets, or even under the bed. The junk you have hidden may be a hidden treasure. When we moved here I found things that I had stored away that I never thought about using as decor. There was a black metal plate holder I had not used in years. I found four frosted glass hummingbird plates I had in my cabinets for 17 years that I never displayed. Now I have them in my dining area. Also I took items I already had and combined them with things I never thought to put them with before.(See photos).

As you are going on this treasure hunt, designate a closet or some other place to put what you find until you are ready to decorate.


Thirdly, organize clutter. Buy large trash bags for throw away items and use boxes for give away items. Do not be afraid to let go of things you have had for years. It really is a wonderful feeling to release things we really do not need. Remember, God says He will supply all of your needs according to His riches in glory, (Philippians 4:19) He wants our homes to reflect Him in physical beauty and creativity as well as being filled with His love and peace.

Lastly, be careful not to become stressed and over burdened by this venture. God wants us to enjoy our homes and for our families to find refuge there. Do a little at a time. Redecorate one dresser top one day, or one corner of your bedroom the next. Spend small increments of time so you will not neglect the most important, God and family.

Now you have a clean canvas. As you complete these tasks, think of your home as a canvas ready to be adorned with God's beauty and yours. Next time, I will share about color and different rooms in your home.

MORNING BAGEL: In the house of the righteous is much treasure. Proverbs 15:6 (King James Version)

DAILY HUG: I should think of my home as a hug. My hug and God's hug to my family and to the world. Seeking balance and letting God lead to a healthy balance in how much time I spend on my home is important. We should never feel pressured that we are to measure up to our friend's home. Your home is a work of art, unique to you. You should see it that way. You are creative. You were created by the creator. Most importantly, your home is a retreat and a shelter where love is provided.

Lord, thank you for blessing me with creativity. You have enabled me to be a vessel of your beauty.

Help me to arrange my home
For Your glory alone.
Paint my walls with Your grace
Hang portraits that reflect Your face.
Fill and furnish with Your mercy and love.
Give rest to the weary from your throne above.
Let comfort and peace adorn this place.
And may joy abound from Your soothing embrace.
In Jesus Name. Amen.














No comments: