Wednesday, October 15, 2008

A Lovely Invitation to Retreat



Have you ever found yourself trying to have some quiet moments to yourself and the silent screaming begins? "Why aren't you cleaning the bathroom? You should be returning that phone call and those emails! Why aren't you doing anything? Get up and make yourself useful for crying out loud!' And that it is- loud cries from the inner wells of our being demanding us to always be busy, busy, busy.


Since our move, I have sensed the Lord continually beckoning me to rest with Him. With boxes still in the garage to unpack, appointments to set, and many children to care for, it has been a challenge. It is amazing how we put so much pressure on ourselves to perform,control, and accomplish tasks as women and mothers in a world that applauds us for our many endeavors.

This brings us to the most important room in our homes-the master bedroom. If you are wanting to redo or reorganize a room in your home, this is a good place to start. Make this place the most inviting spot in your home. So many of us tend to put this room last. It should be the most warm and elegant room, for this is the room you share with your beloved husband. Create a haven that is like a hidden cove for him and you. When you do this, you are showing love, honor, and respect for him. Likewise, it should be an area for you personally to also find rest.

God is pleased when we honor our husbands and when we also honor our times of rest and refreshment for ourselves. Here are some simple ideas for creating that lovely and inviting retreat for you and your husband.

1. Start by uncluttering the room. Pick one area and spend 15 minute time increments so you will not neglect your family. Clean off a cluttered dresser. Purge all of those underclothes you have not worn in a year. Scoop all clutter from underneath the bed.


2. Remember your room is a place of rest and peace. Remove computers, TVs and any distractions that would tempt you do anything other than rest and pray. Fill your room with things that promote rest..bible, wholesome books, journal, soft pillows, throws, candles and soft music.


3. Add a sitting room effect. Place a small table between two chairs or a small sofa. This provides a place where husband and wife can discuss family matters, pray together or just relax together.


4. If you have children, place a basket of books and small toys by your resting chair so they may sit with you and have individual time with you. This has been one of my own most relaxing and restful activities in the evenings before bedtime .


5. For decor, bring in things that bring a soft effect to the room such as plants (real or artificial). Place reminders of your relationship with your husband, God, and family. Some examples are, wedding photos, special gifts from your spouse, a pretty box filled with birthday or anniversary cards or mementos. Display a print on your dresser with a pretty scarf fluffed underneath to add softness. Even consider bring some pretties from the living room or den to make the room more colorful.


6.Now make use of your place of refreshment. Ever since I have had children, I have made it a point to carve out a "sabbath" time for each day. Two hours in the afternoon, the little ones sleep and the older children read or do quiet activities. I do not use that time to clean, cook, do laundry or talk on the phone. I give that time to God, for Him and for me. It helps me to be a more peaceful Mom and wife, and provides that extra energy I need for the evening's activities with my family.


Remember to just simplify. A cluttered room promotes a cluttered mind. Less stuff gives you more room to relax and enjoy your space.


Do you sense God wooing you? Check back to tomorrow to learn about God's heart for you and for Him in having times of retreat. Keep in your heart the reason for making your home a place of rest and refreshment, comfort and healing. May our labors never be in vain. As you go about your day, ponder on what Jesus is asking and saying.




MORNING BAGEL: ARE YOU TIRED? WORN OUT? BURNED OUT ON RELIGION?
COME TO ME. GET AWAY WITH ME AND YOU WILL RECOVER
YOUR LIFE. I'LL SHOW YOU HOW TO TAKE A REAL REST.WALK
WITH ME AND WORK WITH ME-WATCH HOW I DO IT. LEARN THE
UNFORCED RHYTHMS OF GRACE. I WON'T LAY ANYTHING HEAVY
OR ILL FITTING ON YOU.KEEP COMPANY WITH ME AND YOU
WILL LEARN TO LIVE FREELY AND LIGHTLY. (Matthew 11:28-30) The Message Bible

DAILY HUG: Dearest Father, thank you. Thank you for making things easier than I make them for myself. You are teaching me how to take a "real rest". Lord, you walked when you were on this earth. You were never in a hurry. Every step you made was on the path of rest. I receive your invitation to live freely and lightly. Continue to heal me and instruct me in how to "recover" the rest of my life. I want to get away with you in my quiet place and learn to abide more deeply with you everyday in my heart. Your unforced rhythms of grace are embracing me and lulling me to deeper levels of peace and rest. Thank you for refreshing me. In Jesus Name. Amen.












No comments: