Tuesday, January 20, 2009

COVERED HEARTS: Not Just for Parents




The old umbrella lesson. I have used it for years and have had to remind even my older children about the teaching I gave them more than once when they were very young. Just the other day, I had to pull out the faithful umbrella once again. We did not get a whole lot of school accomplished. It was one of those rare moments that I had to preach to my children.

I am all for preaching and teaching the children right from wrong through what God's word says about obedience. However, I have learned and am still learning that the best way to impart things to them is to live out the truth before them in my own life. Then when I come to the point where I have to sit them down for a talk, I have to admit to them my own failures and shortcomings before I can expect them to receive any words from me as truth.

First of all, I asked them what is the purpose of an umbrella. Of course they answered that it keeps you dry in the rain and it provides protection from a good soaking. Then we talked about how a closed umbrella is not useful in anyway for protecting you from anything. Or if you carry an open umbrella but stand outside of it, you become drenched.

Secondly, I shared with them the umbrella is much like your parents. God gives you parents to cover you and protect you when you are young. When you disobey, you are stepping out from under the covering God has provided and you expose yourself to harm. The scripture this refers to is, "Children obey your parents in the Lord for this is right. Honor your Father and Mother which is the first commandment with promise, that is may be well with you and you may live long on the earth. (Ephesians 6:1-3)

In addition, there is external obedience and internal obedience. This is where I had to admit to my kids that at times I am guilty of being obedient in my actions but disobedient in my heart and attitudes. We can do all we know we are supposed to do, but when we grumble and mumble in our minds and hearts while completing a task, then it is just the same as disobeying outwardly.

Sometimes I believe children resist obedience at times because they get it in their minds that we experience some kind of personal enjoyment in "bossing them around". We need to remind them that we expect them to obey because it is what God says for them to do. It is a command out of love and the Lord's desire for our well-being.

The other day as I was sharing with them, I tried to help them understand that I have to answer to the Lord on how I teach them and how I train them. When I obey in doing this, then I too am covered by God. But when I fail to obey , I too step out from under the umbrella. This confrontation was really for me to examine my own heart to see where I may had been engaging in heart grumbles. As a parent I want to walk in joy and gratefulness. When I have to change 3 poopie diapers in one day on the same toddler, I want to praise the Lord and see it as an act of worship unto Him. I am caring for a heavenly gift. I am cleaning up a mess off of a little person who is even more precious to God than he is to me. With this mindset I can obey and carry out even the most mundane tasks with joy and delight.

What I am throwing out here is that each time we confront our own children about an issue, we should first look within to see if the Father might want to address an issue in us. This is a word for even those who do not have children. Think about fault finding. Have you ever been quick to find fault with others? We all have been guilty of this. However, we must stop and look within to see if maybe the very flaw we are picking out in others may very well be the very thing the Lord wants to deal with in us.

Covered hearts. How blessed we are when we walk under the canopy of God's grace through the choice of obedience. The artwork above is an illustration and reminder for all of us. When we walk in obedience we are blessed. We are draped in God's mercy and we get to where we are going in this journey of life according to His plan.
He knows best.

I want to thank my son Tommy for his help with the art work. I have had this picture in my heart since I spoke with the children last week about obedience and covering. It is a visual reminder that when I teach my children and when I walk in obedience, our hearts are covered. Tommy helped me with the grey background and raindrops. He also filled in the blue coloring inside of the umbrella using a trial version of photo shop. Thank you son!

Morning Bagel:LOVE GOD, YOUR GOD, WITH YOUR WHOLE HEART: LOVE HIM WITH ALL THAT IS IN YOU, LOVE HIM WITH ALL YOU'VE GOT.

WRITE THESE COMMANDMENTS THAT I HAVE GIVEN YOU TODAY ON YOUR HEARTS. GET THEM INSIDE OF YOU AND THEN GET THEM INSIDE YOUR CHILDREN.TALK ABOUT THEM WHEREVER YOU ARE,SITTING AT HOME OR WALKING IN THE STREET. TALK ABOUT THEM FROM THE TIME YOU GET UP IN THE MORNING TO WHEN YOU FALL INTO BED AT NIGHT. TIE THEM ON YOUR HANDS AND FOREHEADS AS A REMINDER; INSCRIBE THEM ON THE DOORPOSTS OF YOUR HOMES AND ON YOUR CITY GATES. DEUTERONOMY 6:5-9 (THE MESSAGE BIBLE)

Daily Hug: There is much hope and optimism in the air as the inauguration of our new president is at hand. Many hope for change and a better future. I am more convinced everyday, that the greatest change in the country and in the world begin in individual hearts. As a mother, I long to see holiness, righteousness, and a bright future for the following generations. Therefore, I hold a responsibility to live in obedience, to love God with all my heart, soul, and strength, and to teach this to my children through my life and my words. We all long to see our nation transformed in many ways. But do we ever really stop to think about the impact just one person can have? It starts with me and with you. Change in the parent brings change in the family. Change in the family brings change in the community thus rippling out to change the nation and nations.

Father, thank you for your word. I appreciate the truth even when it hurts at times. It is only by Your grace that I can have your perspective on life. Change me Lord. I realize I cannot expect my children to grow into the individuals You desire for them to be, unless I stay before You, depending on you daily for mercy, guidance and covering. Help me to walk in humility within my own home before my loved ones. Give me grace to see with Your eyes and not with the vision of fault-finding and criticism. Create in me a clean heart. I present myself to You today as a living sacrifice that my family may experience Your love and pleasure through me. Thank you for the gift and privilege of being a mother. I ask more than anything that my children will learn more everyday what it means to love You with all of their heart, soul, and strength. Enable me Father to live that out before them each day. Let my passion for You be the living message that words will not even need to speak. In Jesus Name. Amen.

No comments: