Monday, June 22, 2009

I Can See Clearly Now


I can see clearly now, the rain is gone,
I can see all obstacles in my way
Gone are the dark clouds that had me blind
It’s gonna be a bright (bright), bright (bright)
Sun-Shiny day.

I think I can make it now, the pain is gone
All of the bad feelings have disappeared
Here is the rainbow I’ve been prayin?for
It’s gonna be a bright (bright), bright (bright)
Sun-Shiny day.

Look all around, there’s nothin?but blue skies
Look straight ahead, nothin?but blue skies

I can see clearly now, the rain is gone,
I can see all obstacles in my way
Gone are the dark clouds that had me blind
It’s gonna be a bright (bright), bright (bright)
Sun-Shiny day.


I have not heard this song in years. However, for some odd reason I thought of it this morning. The memory of this tune was probably provoked by some interesting observations I made this past week. You see, I have slowed down a lot. I mean a lot. Not as much organizing, cleaning, laundry and cooking. Things have really been simplified here over the past 3 months. And it is a good thing.

Naturally, I am the type person that looks around at messes and disorder and I get uptight. But you know what? I realize that the mess does not matter so much right now because in my slower state I am seeing things I have never noticed. I sit out side and watch my kids play in the evenings. Story time is a lot less rushed. And hubby is probably one of the most patient men I have ever known. I have noticed these treasures, but the reality seems to be sinking in deeper into my heart these days. And the realization has hit me that I am unwrapping more of the gifts God has bestowed upon my life.

Yesterday was a quiet Father's Day. How I love those kinds of celebrations. It is in the hushed and the simplistic moments that I can really see. The kids and I gave John a simple gift. We gave him a new shorts outfit with some cool leather flip-flops. (You really must have flip-flops in Arizona) He really appreciated his presents.

However, what was really special was what happened after that. The little ones were so excited about their Daddy that they went on a mission. They really wanted to keep giving Daddy gifts. So Joshua, our 6 year old, went rummaging through his toys to find Daddy another surprise. He discovered an old child sized baseball glove and an old box. He drew pictures on the outside of the box and placed the glove inside. He held that little box in his sweet little hands and excitedly ran up to his Daddy. "Here Dad, I have another gift for you!" Joshie exclaimed.

John took the box and opened it with enthusiasm! "Wow", John said, "What a Cool baseball mitt! Look Mommy. Look what Joshua gave me for Father's Day." John tried on the mitt and it only went halfway over his fingers! Then he bent over and gave Joshua a big hug as he and I exchanged warm glances of how precious the gesture was.

While this was taking place, four year old Heather was in a little corner drawing pictures on a piece of paper for her Daddy. She ran happily toward him with an energetic abandonment. Wrapping her little arms around Daddy's legs she cried with joy, "Oh Daddy, I love you so so much." Then John picked her up, and held her close against his chest and replied, "Oh, I love you too, baby girl!"

For a few moments I was frozen in a moment of surreality. It was if God Almighty paralyzed me to a moment of deep realization....In fact He did. Here is what I saw beyond that precious tender moment.

A child who is secure in his Father's love dances through life with an energy of freedom and relentless love. A child who truly knows he is loved feels safe to give and wants to give continuously. A little one who has been loved unconditionally knows it deep down even though he does not have the words to describe that love. And so he just lives it, breaths it, runs with it, and gives it back freely.

Likewise, a child of God who has truly seen and experienced the pure love of God can do the same. If I know my Father, I know His love for me is real. And my life becomes more about giving that pure love back rather than trying to contain it as if I might lose it.

Furthermore, the Father is delighted when I just innocently give it back to Him in any form I can find. When the children were running around just looking for anything they could find, John was delighted that they love him so much they simply wanted to just give him anything they had. The gift itself was not that much. However, the passionate desire to express that love to their father in some tangible way, in any way melted their Daddy's heart to mush!

Wow, how our Heavenly Father's heart must soften even more when we like Joshua and Heather search for ways to bless Him and express our love to Him. This is the heart of worship! It isn't so much about the songs we sing in church and the elaborate words we use. It really is not about our performance and how good we are at something. It is about the hidden unspoken messages of the childlike heart that sings to, runs to, hugs and kisses the very core of the Father's heart....and it melts Him with pleasure and delight in the light of a love so genuine and pure!

2 comments:

Karen said...

I love it when our kids choose one of their own possessions or make one of their own creations to give away. Things around your house sound simialar to things around here!
I've been thinking about you and praying for you. How are things going with your pregnancy? I have a special place in my heart for expectant moms and like to keep them on my prayer list.

Blessings,
Karen

christa marie said...

Hi Mrs. Cogburn!
Thank you for the sweet comment!
I'm so wonderful! Enjoying being home for the summer. How are you doing? I am SO glad I was able to see Tommy! I've missed him and all of you way too much! I want to make a trip out to Arizona sometime in the future! I've been able to spend some time with Bradley too, which has been awesome!
I am so excited that you have twins on the way! When I found out, I flipped I was so excited! Praying for you all,
Christa