Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Trusting Treasure


I cannot let another moment go by without writing this down. It is amazing how God will speak if we just tune in. I am home everyday with my precious children. It is a gift and treasure to be with them everyday and to watch them grow,smile,play,laugh, cry. And to be perfectly honest I do not even mind wiping bottoms smeared with poop or changing dirty diapers.

The longer I am a parent the more I realize that I probably learn a lot more from my children than they learn from me. Yesterday I was caught up in a trusting treasure that I will never forget. My four year old daughter Heather came into the bathroom where I was taking my 60 second shower. She had a book in her little hands and she asked, "Mommy will you read me this book?" I replied, "Sure baby. As soon as I get out of the shower and get dressed I promise I will read the story to you." She then sweetly exclaimed, "Thank you Mommy for reading the book to me."

At first I did not think much about her statement. But it stuck with me as I noticed a still small voice through her words. She thanked me for reading the story. I had yet to read the story to her. Pretty profound, don't you think?
And do you know why she thanked me before hand? Because she trusted that I would keep my word, my promise to her. She was confident that when Mommy was no longer wet and was dressed, Mommy would read her that story in due time. She trusted me and went and played something else until I joined her in reading the little story. This is no credit to me but to her. The faith of a child is pure and sure. Children can be so trusting, believing and forgiving. My own precious ones have been my leaders and examples so many times throughout the years.

I was also thinking about how delighted I was that Heather thanked me in faith because she knew I would read to her. How delighted the Father is when we thank Him before the promise is delivered. I think it must make Him want to bring the promise to pass even more and even add to the blessing!

After pondering on Heather's little trusting word treasure I felt impressed with words in my spirit that were not spoken in any audible voice. I sensed the Lord say, "If your little child trusts that you will keep a simple promise, then you must always trust that I will do what I say. I have always kept my promises because I am the One who does not lie.I follow through on my promises. I am trustworthy and safe. I am the hope of glory. Your confidence comes through your confidence in Me."

How important it is that we as parents follow through with what we say we will do.My children's ability to trust is so often dependent upon me. I want them to grow up knowing they can trust God so I want to do everything I can to help them know they can trust me.I will fail in this and I have failed in the past. However, I desire that the grace of God will enable me to be consistent enough in following through that my children will trust that I will do what I say I will do.

If you want to hear God and learn more of Him, spend time with kids! Get on their level and open your heart. You will probably see the face of Jesus and you will get to hear His still small voice. Blessed are the trusting treasures among us!

2 comments:

corajalem said...

Thank you Ange. I had a song come to me today along the same lines. I think that is how I hear that still small voice. In a new song that comes from my heart.

Ange said...

I love you Sami and miss you so so much my friend. (((HUGS))))